459. That woman was beautifully dressed, decorated with ornaments, wearing a flower garland. Her feet were coloured with red paint. She was wearing golden slippers. She was a prostitute.
460. She took off her slippers and stood before me, worshiping me with her joined palms. With a soft and sweet voice, this is what she said:
461. “Even though you were ordained, you are still very young. Listen to me. Enjoy human sensual pleasures. I will give you all comforts.
462. I promise you truly, I will even bring fire [by which to swear my commitment to you]. When we both reach old age, supported by walking sticks, let’s go and ordain. This way we will win both worlds.”
463. When I saw that prostitute, beautifully dressed and decorated with ornaments pleading with me, worshiping me with joined hands, it occurred to me that it was like a trap set by Māra.
464. Based on this incident, wise consideration arose in me. The danger of sensual pleasures was clear to me. Disenchantment with life was established in my mind.
465. Based on this same incident, my mind was liberated from all defilements. See the excellence of this Dhamma! I too attained the Triple Knowledge. The Buddha’s path has been fully followed by me.
These verses were said by Arahant Sundara Samudda.